EUCG cooperates with Billy Bike, to offer a trial for EU employees during Velomai 2018.
- Billy Bike is a Brussels based start-up, offering free-floating bike sharing services with e-bikes.
- The pickup-and-park map covers most EU buildings. One can use the bike anywhere, but must be parked at the end in the blue zone.
- You get 150 minutes free during the trial during VeloMai 2018 (to be used until 15 June 2018, afterwards: usage at normal rates).
Who is this for?
- “I like bike sharing, but don’t like cycling uphill”: the motor helps you get up there.
- “I would like to try out e-bikes finally, at my own pace, without time limitations”: Billy Bike is an e-bike like all others.
- “I want to support making Brussels more bike friendly”: every ride on a bike is a ride made the green way, this service could complement well Villo!.
What we think about Billy Bike
Many of us in EUCG already have used the bikes in the last year a couple of times, it works well – in fact the idea to cooperate came from enthusiastic EUCG members. Also, we got to know the Billy Bike team in the course of making Brussels bike friendly in the past years, and our impression was that they are cool people, have both an interest to make Brussels better, but of course make the company grow and are serious about both. So, we are really happy for this cooperation to promote biking via this way. The service is still in a Beta phase, and it lives the lives of the typical start-ups, we hope they will grow and stay strong. As of today, already 40 EU employees signed up, and contribute to the success.
Sign up on this link, with your work e-mail.
Last updated: 30 May 2018
Dear EUCG member,
On 18 May the Velomai 2018 challenge was launched under suitably sunny conditions and above is the “photo de famille” taken in the shade of the Berlaymont!
The collective, inter-institutional bike race to the moon is on and, so far, over 1600 colleagues have taken up the challenge. Thus, after a few days, with the help of the participating institutions, we have just about equalled the overall total of participants reached by the end of the month last year in the Commission alone. However, to reach the moon, we need the help of many more participants. So if you haven’t already signed up, please do so and if you know of friends or colleagues who already cycle or who could potentially try out cycling, please encourage them to join in!
In addition to the friendly competition of the challenge, there is an incredible number of cycling events planned ( see full programme open to all EU staff below). Some of you took advantage of the long weekend to cycle from Schuman to Overijse and back for the family day. By all accounts it was a cheerful trip, led by a knowledgeable guide who provided lots of interesting information along the way .Once in Overijse, the cyclists got to shake hands with Commissioner Oettinger. Some participants would like to see the experience repeated on a regular basis during future VeloMai campaigns. ( see photo below).
In this flash I would like to highlight some upcoming events that deserve your support. The full programme of events open to all EU staff is also attached.
VeloMai 2018 program suggestions – 28 May 2018
1. Bike maintenance training
28 May 13:00 ( currently not listed in the Velomai main programme; trainer EUCG member Jean-Marie Misztela)
Workshop on “Basic tune-up and preventive maintenance: How to solve/tune-up indexation.” . Free of charge and only 30 mn in front of DG SANTE, Belliard 232, parking on corner with rue Breydel 4. Link
Have fun in learning how to become autonomous into fixing basic problems in your bicycle.
– How to tune-up the indexation (speed change for front chainrings and back chainwheels) and the brakes (wear, alignment, cables and housings condition)
– How to detect if your chain / chainring / chainwheel will be worn soon and need a replacement
– What is the correct pressure to inflate your tires. How to avoid definitely the punctures.
– How to inspect all safety points on your bike.
– Where to get advices on the web, forums
If your bike has a problem, you can bring it to get advice.
Venue : DG SANTE B232, 4 rue Breydel
On the pavement beside the parking entrance at 4 rue Breydel. ( on the corner with rue Belliard) In case of rain we go inside the parking.
If you can’t make Jean-Marie’s session you have a 2nd chance, organised by the OIB, on 1 June 2018:
2. Lunchtime conference on the health benefits of cycling
3. EUCG/AMC.7 cycling courses in how to bike in traffic on 30 May, 05, 06, 12 and 13 June 2018
Register by email to HR AMC SC11 FIT AT WORK ( with “bike in traffic” in the title)
4. Celebrate 20 years of critical mass in Belgium
Saturday 26 May 2018, 14:00-17:00 Critical Mass Brussels Bike Ride (external event)
Meeting at Park Cinquantenaire. More info: Critical Mass Belgium
5. Billy bike offer to EU staff
Why not try out an e-bike for free for a short period ( free minutes)? Please find on the link to our article and lint to get free minutes for e-bike sharing in Brussels (Billy Bike): VeloMai 2018 EUCG – Billy.Bike cooperation
6. VeloMai programme open to all EU staff:
Dear EUCG member,
It gives me great pleasure to invite you and your bike to attend the VeloMai 2018 Inter-institutional Bike-to-Work Challenge official opening, starting at 12.45 this Friday, 18 May, on the Berlaymont Esplanade!
At 13.00. Bernard Magenhann, Deputy Director-General in DG HR will officially launch the challenge. A senior official from the Committee of the Regions will also speak. EP and Council representatives will also be present.
In view of the expected dry weather on Friday, the event is expected to take place outdoors on the Berlaymont Esplanade. In particular, at about 13.30, there will be a group photo of EU staff with their bikes in celebration of the launch of this month-long festival of cycling.
The EUCG will also have a stand, along with OIB, DG HR Fit@work, EMAS, and others.
The current VELOMAI programme, along with info on Bike ride to Overijse (Mon 21 May 2018) and Conference on air quality (4 june) are also included in this flash information.
Hoping to see you on Friday!
2. Monday 21 May 2018: Bike ride to Overijse “Schuman To Schuman” (extra event – not listed in current VeloMai programme)
Monday 21 May (public holiday – Family day of the EC at CIE).
Roundtrip by bicycle (with private bicycle ). So for confirmed cyclists (~40 kms roundtrip).
Departure Schuman 15h – Arrival CIE ~ 16h30.
Departure CIE 18h – Arrival Schuman ~ 19h30
Register via HR FIT AT WORK.
3. Lunchtime Conference on air quality – AirCasting results – rue Philippe le Bon 3, room 4.56 , on 4 June 2018, 12.30-14.00
A large group of EUCG members participated in the citizen-science project AirCasting to measure PM 2.5 and PM 10. How did this affect their daily commute? What did they learn about air quality in Brussels? What do they suggest for us in general?