Dear EUCG member,
On 18 May the Velomai 2018 challenge was launched under suitably sunny conditions and above is the “photo de famille” taken in the shade of the Berlaymont!
The collective, inter-institutional bike race to the moon is on and, so far, over 1600 colleagues have taken up the challenge. Thus, after a few days, with the help of the participating institutions, we have just about equalled the overall total of participants reached by the end of the month last year in the Commission alone. However, to reach the moon, we need the help of many more participants. So if you haven’t already signed up, please do so and if you know of friends or colleagues who already cycle or who could potentially try out cycling, please encourage them to join in!
In addition to the friendly competition of the challenge, there is an incredible number of cycling events planned ( see full programme open to all EU staff below). Some of you took advantage of the long weekend to cycle from Schuman to Overijse and back for the family day. By all accounts it was a cheerful trip, led by a knowledgeable guide who provided lots of interesting information along the way .Once in Overijse, the cyclists got to shake hands with Commissioner Oettinger. Some participants would like to see the experience repeated on a regular basis during future VeloMai campaigns. ( see photo below).
In this flash I would like to highlight some upcoming events that deserve your support. The full programme of events open to all EU staff is also attached.
VeloMai 2018 program suggestions – 28 May 2018
1. Bike maintenance training
28 May 13:00 ( currently not listed in the Velomai main programme; trainer EUCG member Jean-Marie Misztela)
Workshop on “Basic tune-up and preventive maintenance: How to solve/tune-up indexation.” . Free of charge and only 30 mn in front of DG SANTE, Belliard 232, parking on corner with rue Breydel 4. Link
Have fun in learning how to become autonomous into fixing basic problems in your bicycle.
– How to tune-up the indexation (speed change for front chainrings and back chainwheels) and the brakes (wear, alignment, cables and housings condition)
– How to detect if your chain / chainring / chainwheel will be worn soon and need a replacement
– What is the correct pressure to inflate your tires. How to avoid definitely the punctures.
– How to inspect all safety points on your bike.
– Where to get advices on the web, forums
If your bike has a problem, you can bring it to get advice.
Venue : DG SANTE B232, 4 rue Breydel
On the pavement beside the parking entrance at 4 rue Breydel. ( on the corner with rue Belliard) In case of rain we go inside the parking.
If you can’t make Jean-Marie’s session you have a 2nd chance, organised by the OIB, on 1 June 2018:
2. Lunchtime conference on the health benefits of cycling
3. EUCG/AMC.7 cycling courses in how to bike in traffic on 30 May, 05, 06, 12 and 13 June 2018
Register by email to HR AMC SC11 FIT AT WORK ( with “bike in traffic” in the title)
4. Celebrate 20 years of critical mass in Belgium
Saturday 26 May 2018, 14:00-17:00 Critical Mass Brussels Bike Ride (external event)
Meeting at Park Cinquantenaire. More info: Critical Mass Belgium
5. Billy bike offer to EU staff
Why not try out an e-bike for free for a short period ( free minutes)? Please find on the link to our article and lint to get free minutes for e-bike sharing in Brussels (Billy Bike): VeloMai 2018 EUCG – Billy.Bike cooperation
6. VeloMai programme open to all EU staff: